FAQ/What to Bring

FAQ/What to Bring

What is my room assignment? When will I receive it? 
Room assignments are made during May, and written confirmation of your assignment should arrive at your permanent address during the first week of June. International students should allow three to four weeks for delivery. This confirmation includes information regarding which residence hall and room you will be living in, your campus address, the name(s) of your roommate(s), and which meal plan you have been assigned. 

Who is my roommate? May I contact my roommate before we move in?
If you have one or more roommates, those names and addresses will appear on your room assignment confirmation. Feel free to get in touch with your roommate(s) before arriving on campus to get to know one another, and discuss who will be bringing what.


May I see my room before I move in?
No, the residence halls are closed to students until the move-in date.


What size are the beds in the residence hall rooms?
The beds in the rooms are 80 x 39.

Where can I find extra-long sheets and bedding?
West Virginia Wesleyan College has extra long mattresses which are longer than 76 inches. These extra-long beds require specifically-sized sheets, comforters and blankets. Therefore, West Virginia Wesleyan College has been providing the Residence Hall Linens program to students since 1998. On move-in day it's important to have those XL sheets that can be hard to find. Our goal is to make sure every parent and student is ready with the right size sheets, so we offer a huge variety of custom-sized linens guaranteed to fit your residence hall bed and to last until graduation. We also provide a selection of extra-long thermal blankets, extra-long mattress pads, pillows, storage solutions, extra-long comforters and anything else you will need. Guarantee Your First Choice Today! Our best selection of college bedding and a guarantee of your first choice is available for parents and students who respond early. All our residence hall room bedding and accessories come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee right up to graduation. You may return your linens for a full refund if you are not satisfied for any reason. Visit http://www.ocm.com/wvw/linens to view our full selection of colors and patterns and to place your order.

What Furniture comes in the bedrooms?
Each room comes equipped with a bed, mattress, desk, desk chair, dresser, closet space, window shade, Ethernet hookup (internet), and cable television outlet for each resident. 

How many outlets are in each room?
There are at least 2 in each room.  Only extension cords with surge protectors are permitted.


Estimated Room measurements for each specific building?

**Remember that you will be sharing a room and that space is limited.**
Agnes Howard- Varies
Benedum Hall- 10’ 2” x 14
Camden Complex- Varies

Fleming Hall- Varies

Dunn Hall- 10' 9" x 24' 
Doney Hall- 9’ 8” x 15’ 10”
Jenkins Hall- 10’ 8” x 16’ 2”
Holloway Hall- 10’ 8” x 14’
McCuskey Hall- 11’ x 16’ 5”


May I paint my dorm room?
No, you will not be able to paint your room.  All rooms are standard off-white in color.


Are students permitted to build bed lofts?
No, students are not permitted to build bed lofts. However, if you’re interested in renting a loft, please contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life by phone at (304)473-8431 or via e-mail housing@wvwc.edu.


What is the laundry service?
Laundry machines are available in each residence hall and are coin operated. Students can also use credit/debit cards.  The cost is $1.25 to wash and $1.25 to dry per load.


What are the room rates?


See room and board rates.

What about the window coverings? 
All residence hall rooms have some form of window treatments - blinds, shades 

Can I bring a small appliance like a microwave, coffee maker, or refrigerator?
West Virginia Wesleyan has established policies regarding the use of heat-producing appliances. For safety and sanitary reasons, cooking appliances are not permitted in rooms that are not equipped with kitchens. Refrigerators 4.0 cubic feet and under are permitted in all rooms, and microwaves no larger that .9 cubic feet without convection are also permitted.


What is an RA? What does an RA do?
An RA is a Resident Assistant and he/she is part of the student staff that lives in the residence hall to help build strong and healthy residential learning communities which complement and extend classroom learning.  The RA also plans programs for the hall and enforces the College's residential policies.


Where do I get my room key?
When you come for move in, you will receive your key from the Resident Assistant or Resident Director of your Residence Hall.  If you are an early arrival due to sports or band, a special check-in time will be set up by the Housing Office, and your coach/director will let you know.


Are students subject to curfew?
There are no curfews.


What is the visitation policy?
Guests are to be escorted at all times by a resident and are expected to adhere to all of West Virginia Wesleyan College's regulations and policies. Residents are responsible for the actions of their guests. The visitation policy is currently under review by the Board of Trustees and will be available to students at a later date.


Are residents allowed to have a car on-campus?
Yes. Residential student parking passes will be available at the rate of $100 at orientation or during the first week of classes.  While WVWC provides ample parking for its students, the parking spaces are not guaranteed to be conveniently located to a student's specific residence hall.


What should I bring for my room?
We suggest that you bring all of the special items which will make your new home feel like home…but you can’t bring everything! Some of the basic items you might want to add to your list are:

  • Laundry Supplies
  • Quarters for vending machines
  • Pillows, Bed Linens, and Bath Towels
  • Bathroom Bucket or Shower Caddy
  • Bath Robe
  • Alarm Clock
  • Window Fan for standard housing rooms
  • Plastic Cups, Plates, and Silverware
  • Wastebasket
  • Desk or Floor Lamp
  • Flashlight
  • Surge Protector     
  • Three Prong Plug Adapters
  • Message Board
  • Poster Putty
  • Shower Sandals
  • Free standing shelves
  • Check with your roommate to see who will want to bring the following: TV, Microwave, and Small Refridgerator


**Due to fire safety regulations NO extension cords or multiple outlet plugs will be allowed in the halls**


What am I not allowed to bring?

  • Weapons, Firearms and Explosives
  • Candles, Candle Warmers, Incense or Potpourri Burners
  • Barbeque Grills
  • George Forman Grills
  • Hot-plates
  • Halogen Lamps
  • Alcohol/Drugs
  • Pets
  • Mattress and Box Springs
  • Air Conditioners, Ceiling Fans and Space Heaters
  • Water Beds
  • Free Weights Greater Than 10 pounds
  • Dimmer Switches
  • Darts and Dartboards
  • Lava Lamps
  • Toasters and Toaster Ovens
  • Refrigerators larger than 3.0 amps and 4.0 cubic feet
  • Hoverboards
  • Drones

How can I appeal a mistake on my RCR that has caused me to get billed for damages?
If you have a conflict or question on your RCR, it needs to be submitted in writing (either e-mail or written letter) by June 30 and then it will be considered by the Office of Housing and Residence Life.


What happens when a rule or policy is broken?
A person found in violation of College policy could receive the following sanctions, depending upon the seriousness of the violation and the person's judicial history:


  • Written Reprimand- a written notice signifying that further misconduct may result in more severe disciplinary action.
  • Community Action- written notice that a student's conduct is of a serious nature. Community Action is assigned for a specified period of time and may lead to more severe judicial action if further violations occur.
  • Disciplinary Probation- written notice that a student's conduct warrants significant corrective action. Probation is assigned for a specified period of time and involves conditions or restrictions, identified at the time probation is assigned. Eligibility to publicly represent the College is lost during probation.
  • Suspension- separation of the student from the College for a specified period of time, after which the student may apply for readmission.
  • Disciplinary Dismissal- permanent separation of the student from the college. Notification appears on the student's transcripts. Student is barred from College premises.
  • Restitution- student is required to make payment to the College or other persons or organizations for damages incurred as a result of a violation.
  • Other Sanctions- educational projects, Life Skills Workshops, community service, restriction of activity participation, restricted access to facilities, monetary fines, loss of student employment.
  • Also, refer to the Student Handbooks: Judicial System for the complete polocy



West Virginia
Wesleyan College

59 College Avenue
Buckhannon, WV 26201
(304) 473-8000

Contact Us


Support WVWC

Current Students


I want more information

Get in touch >