Earning Credits

Earning Credits

Students who take the College Board Advanced Placement Program examinations and achieve a score of three or higher will in most cases be eligible for credit in the appropriate course (s) upon enrollment at Wesleyan.

Entering students may receive credit for the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) through general examinations when they achieve the passing score set by Wesleyan.

Students must be enrolled at Wesleyan to take advantage of credit by examination. Credit will be awarded only when it does not duplicate or significantly overlap credit which already appears on the student’s official college transcript. Likewise, exams may not be taken for credit by a student who has already completed a course for which the credit is requested is a prerequisite. A student may not take an exam for a course in which he or she has been enrolled previously. General information regarding acceptance of credit is available from the Office of the Registrar.

West Virginia Wesleyan College accepts transfer credit from regionally accredited col- leges and universities in the United States as well as from officially recognized colleges and universities in other countries. Credit earned in the arts, letters, and sciences, and selected professional disciplines is eligible for transfer to Wesleyan. Credit may be ac- cepted by special arrangement from a non-accredited institution; however, credit will not be posted to the student’s permanent record until the student has completed one academic year of work at Wesleyan with an average grade of C (2.0). The Admission and Academic Standing Council may require examinations to demonstrate proficiency in work taken at non-accredited institutions. The Office of the Registrar is responsible for the evaluation and acceptance of transfer credit.

Wesleyan students may complete work toward a Wesleyan degree at another in- stitution. However, they must receive approval for specific courses prior to enrolling in them to guarantee that they will be accepted by the College and will satisfy intended degree requirements. No more than 60 semester hours of credit may be transferred from a junior or community college. No more than 90 semester hours of credit may be transferred from a four-year college.

The College may grant appropriate credit, as recommended in The Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services, and as modified or superseded by later recommendations of the Commission on Educational Credit of the American Council on Education, to students who either submit satisfactory documentary evidence (e.g., DD 214), or demonstrate on such tests as the College may prescribe that they have achieved, through educational experience in the armed services, a satisfactory degree of mastery of any subject for which the College regularly gives credit.

In granting credit under these regulations, no duplication of credit will be allowed, and no fractional credits will be granted. Credit in physical education may be allowed for educational experience in the armed services only when the applicant has completed 12 continuous months of active military service. Credit for educational experience gained in the armed services will be recorded only for persons who are currently enrolled as students in the College.

Interested persons should consult the staff in the Office of the Registrar.

West Virginia
Wesleyan College

59 College Avenue
Buckhannon, WV 26201
(304) 473-8000

Contact Us


Support WVWC

Current Students


I want more information

Get in touch >