Academic Policies

Academic Policies

All graduate students are assigned a faculty advisor from within their program. Prior to the first semester of graduate study, or during the first semester of graduate study, the student will make a plan of study with their advisor. Education is ultimately the responsibility of the learner, but the advisor’s input to the students plan of study and semester schedules enhances student awareness of how each semester and course contributes to the overall progress towards graduation.

Registration for Classes
All students must register at the beginning of each semester, May Term, or Summer Term by the official deadline published in the College calendar. Students are urged to preregister for the upcoming semester, May Term or Summer Term during the dates posted on the College calendar to ensure their place in classes.
Students may change their registration for courses in accordance with College policies within the first five days of semester classes or within the first two class meetings of May Term and Summer Term. This period is called the “add/drop period.” Courses dropped within these time periods will not appear on the student’s permanent academic record. No semester-long courses may be added to a student’s schedule after these time periods.

Withdrawal from Courses
A graduate student will be permitted to withdraw from a course only during the period designated in the academic calendar. In order to withdraw from a course, a student must complete the Course Withdrawal Form available in the Office of Admissions in the O'Roark Nordstrom Welcome Center or online. If a student is granted permission to withdraw, a W (Withdrawal) is entered on the record. If a student discontinues a course after the specified date for withdrawal and/or without permission of the Dean of the College, FW (Failure, Irregular Withdrawal) is entered on the record.

Graduate Transfer Credit
A maximum of nine semester hours of graduate credit from another regionally accredited U.S. college or university may be applied toward a graduate degree program, if the course is applicable, provided the grade for each course is at least a B* (3.0) and has been earned within the last seven years. Individual graduate programs may elect to grant fewer graduate transfer hours. If graduate transfer hours are approved, the credits and quality points will be computed into the student’s WVWC graduate grade point. *B- or Pass grades are not acceptable.

Requests for transfer graduate credit must be approved by the specific graduate Program Director, the Dean of the College, and the Registrar. Any individual requesting graduate transfer credit must complete the Graduate Transfer Credit Evaluation Form in full and attach all related college transcripts and syllabi that include course descriptions. (Official transcript(s) from all colleges attended is an admission/application requirement for every WVWC graduate program. As long as all official transcripts are included with the application, an unofficial copy of the transcript(s) that relate to any requested transfer credits may be attached to the form.)

West Virginia
Wesleyan College

59 College Avenue
Buckhannon, WV 26201
(304) 473-8000

Contact Us


Support WVWC

Current Students


I want more information

Get in touch >